Need to open a TAR-GZ file?
Download WinZip to open your file now.
What is a TAR-GZ file extension?
The .tar.gz file format is a combination of TAR packaging followed by a GNU zip (gzip) compression. It is commonly used in Unix based operating systems. This type of files can contain multiple files and most often they come as package files, programs or installers. On MS-DOS platform, .tgz is used as short of tar.gz because MS-DOS can’t recognize a file type containing two dots and more than three characters after the dot. As they include both .tar and .gz files, they must be decompressed and subsequently expanded with a TAR utility. WinZip is one of the most widely used tools for unzipping tar.gz files.
How to open TAR-GZ files
- Save the tar.gz file to the desktop. If your compressed file was downloaded from a website, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you want to open by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Choose the destination folder to place the extracting files and click "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in the destination folder.
Open TAR-GZ files on Windows or Mac
- WinZip 25
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
- WinZip Mac 8
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts TAR-GZ Compressed Archive Files—and many more formats
We designed WinZip to open and extract from the widest range of file formats, including all of the following:
Get WinZip now to open your TAR-GZ file(s), then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, encryption, packaging, file management and data backup capabilities.